Southwest Airlines has a policy that allows passengers to fix their names on their tickets if there are up to four characters that need to be corrected. Third-party travel agents cannot create a new PNR and expect to change the name on a flight reservation with the airlines.
Additionally, Southwest allows passengers to make changes to their ticket names by correcting up to four characters in the first, middle, or last name. To change your name with Southwest, you’ll need to contact their customer service number.
The airlines do not allow changing the ownership of travelers in the existing PNR. If passengers need to cancel their booking, claim a refund, and book a flight with a different traveler’s name, they can do so. However, please note that this is subject to availability. Here are some approaches you can use when processing a name change request:
Southwest Airlines Name Correction – If you need to correct your name on Southwest Airlines, you can change up to 4 characters in your first name, middle name, or last name. The inclusion of the 4 characters should not be misunderstood as representing the first, middle, and last names separately. Instead, they represent a combination of all three.
Southwest Airlines Change the Name on Tickets – This airline allows name changes on tickets. However, they only allow name changes in certain situations, such as after marriage or divorce, or if there has been a legal name change.
Here are the key points from Southwest Airlines’ policy on changing names:
- If you’re a Rapid Rewards member with Southwest, you can’t request a name change on your ticket. This is because it’s governed by the terms of the frequent flyer contract.
- You cannot transfer ownership of the existing PNR.
- After the name change on your Southwest ticket is done, the airline ticket will be sent to you. You will be charged a fee for changing your name, as well as any additional fare difference if applicable.
- If you have a reservation that includes flights from interline or codeshare agreement partners, you can only request a name change for the specific flight segment.
- When making a name change on a Southwest Airlines booking, if there are multiple fare rules on the ticket, the most restrictive fare rules will be applied.
- Once the name correction request is finished, passengers will need to choose their seats again. It is important to note that swapping seats between the old and new PNR is not possible.
- According to Southwest’s name change rule, if there is a mistake in your name on your flight segments, you will need to cancel those segments to avoid being marked as a no-show. You can then request an e-ticket for a refund.
- After Getting a correction on your flight ticket and get your pet on the flight. To carry your pet with you during a flight, follow Southwest Airlines Pet Policy.
Southwest Airlines Change Name on Ticket
Before requesting a name correction on your Southwest Airlines ticket, there are a few points you should consider:
Before The Ticket Is Issued
- According to Southwest Airlines’ name correction policy, passengers can correct their first name and middle name if it is within 4 characters. The count of 4 characters refers to the total number of characters, not 4 characters for each first name and last name.
- According to Southwest Airlines’ name change policy, if you need to correct the spacing between your first, middle, or last name, it would be considered a correction of 4 characters.
- If you want to change your Passengers Type Code (PTC), date of birth (DOB), gender, or add an infant, you can’t do it under the name change policy. Instead, you’ll need to make a regular re-issuance request.
- If you need to correct a name that is longer than 4 characters, you can request it by calling our Southwest Airlines reservation phone number.
- Southwest can help you change your name after marriage if you provide a valid legal document.
After The Ticket Is Issued
- According to Southwest Airlines’ name change policy, once you have received your tickets, you cannot transfer them to someone else or change the names on them. However, there are exceptions for legal name changes due to events like marriage or divorce.
- You can only change the name on your Southwest Airlines ticket by contacting their customer service number. Passengers will need to provide their Rapid Rewards account number and photocopies of legal documentation or any other requested information that shows their new legal name.
Southwest Name Change Fee
If you need to correct your name on a Southwest Airlines booking within 24 hours of making the reservation, you will be charged a fee of $150 USD. The representatives might request photocopies of legal documents or any other information that shows the correct name.
You can only correct your name within 24 hours of booking, and the correction can only be up to 4 characters long. However, there is a fee of 200 USD for a name change with Southwest Airlines. Once the name correction is made, the ticket will be sent for re-issue. It will be rebooked in either the same available class or a higher class within the same cabin. If you want to change your ticket to a higher class, you may have to pay the fare difference.
How to Change a Name on a Southwest Airlines Ticket?
Here’s how you can request a name change with Southwest Airlines online or over the phone:
Southwest Name Change Online
Follow these easy steps to proceed with the Southwest change name on the ticket:
- Visit southwest.com, and click on the ‘Manage My Booking’ tab to proceed.
- To proceed, please enter the passenger’s last name and the six-digit booking reference. Then, click on the ‘Retrieve booking’ button.
- To request a name correction for your booking, simply click on the ‘Change name’ button on the next page.
- You can request a name change for Anytime and Business Select fares.
- Please enter the correct name. You can make changes to the first, middle, or last name, but you can only modify up to 4 characters. The count of 4 characters refers to the total number of characters, not 4 characters for each first name and last name.
- If you need to change your name, you will be asked to pay a fee. You may also need to pay an additional amount if there is a difference in the fare.
- After the request is finished, passengers will receive a new confirmation. They will need to complete check-in and select their seats again.
Southwest Name Change Over The Phone
To make changes to your name, simply give us a call at our customer service number. We’ll take care of all your name change requests.
- Make sure you have your six-digit booking reference ready when you speak to the airline representatives.
- To change your name, the agent will need you to provide photocopies of legal documents or any other information that shows your correct name.
- You can request a correction to the first, middle, or last name, up to a certain number of characters. The count of 4 characters refers to the total number of characters, not 4 characters for each first name and last name.
- If you need to change your name on a Southwest Airlines ticket, you will be required to pay a fee. Additionally, if there is a difference in fare, you will need to pay that as well.
- After the request is finished, passengers will receive a new confirmation. They will need to complete the check-in process and select their seats again.