You can use Southwest Airlines check-in to finish the check-in process, choose your seat, and get your boarding pass. Passengers have the option to receive the link via email at their registered email address. To make things easy, just show the barcode of your boarding pass on your device screen at the security checkpoint. Then, go to the Southwest Airlines counter to check your baggage. Finally, be prepared to board the flight.
Passengers have the option to check in for their Southwest flight using the Southwest Airlines mobile app. This allows them to access their boarding pass, even if they are connecting to a flight on one of the 78 different participating airlines.
You can check in for your Southwest Airlines flight starting 24 hours before it is scheduled to depart. The time you need to check in, drop off your baggage, and board the plane can be different depending on where you’re flying from and where you’re going. Before you leave, passengers should attend to the following tasks:
- You can visit the Southwest Airlines help center to find out if you are eligible for the current Southwest check-in time.
- Passengers should review the guidelines provided by the airport authority and other important information to determine the recommended arrival time at the airport.
- The Southwest check-in mobile app is like having a digital assistant. It helps passengers check in, check their flight status, and check out.
Southwest Boarding Order
Southwest Airlines begins the boarding process 30-50 minutes before the scheduled departure time. The exact timing depends on the destination and type of trip. You must check in for Southwest Airlines flights at least 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time. If a passenger is not present, the airline will give their seat to someone else. Once the plane doors are closed, Southwest’s boarding time ends. Here is a list of Southwest boarding groups that passengers should know:
|Southwest Boarding Group||Southwest Boarding pass type|
Group A (Southwest Military Boarding)
Active duty U.S. military with military I.D.
|Group B||Business Select Fare members|
|Group 3||Anytime Fare, members,|
|Group D||Wanna Get Away Fare members Travelers who bought Southwest Early Bird Check-in & Priority boarding members|
Southwest Check-In Time
To reserve your preferred seat when flying with Southwest Airlines, you need to complete the check-in process using a six-digit PNR number. You can check in for your Southwest Airlines flight online starting 48 hours before your scheduled departure. Just make sure to complete the check-in process at least 10 minutes before your flight takes off, regardless of the class of service you’re in. Once you’ve checked in using the Southwest Airlines mobile app or website, your Southwest Airlines boarding pass and receipt will be sent to the email address you provided during registration.
- Passengers can start boarding 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time. It is suggested that you arrive at the gate area at least 30 minutes before your scheduled time, as mentioned here.
- Please make sure to get your Southwest boarding pass and be at the gate area 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time. If you don’t follow Southwest Airlines’ check-in guidelines, the airline might cancel your reserved seat, and you won’t be able to get compensation for being denied boarding.
- If passengers don’t intend to travel – According to Southwest’s check-in policy, if a passenger doesn’t want to travel on a specific part of their trip, they can cancel their reservation at least 10 minutes before the flight is supposed to leave. If passengers can’t cancel their Wanna Get Away fare flight segment at least 10 minutes before the scheduled departure, they will be marked as a no-show. This means they will lose all the remaining Wanna Get Away funds they had. If you have a Business Select or Anytime Fare, the fare value will be changed into a travel credit that can be used again. However, this credit can only be used by the person who was originally ticketed.
Southwest Early Bird Check-In
Passengers can access Southwest Airlines’ early bird check-in for a starting price of 50 USD per person. This service allows passengers to get better boarding positions and earlier access to overhead bins.
According to Southwest Airlines’ check-in policy, you can buy early-bird services for a price between $50 and $100 per passenger for one-way travel. Here are some of the features:
- Southwest With automatic check-in-Southwest allows passengers to print their boarding pass either the day before or a few hours before their flight. The boarding position is assigned on a first-come-first-serve basis. Passengers can print their Southwest boarding passes whenever it is convenient for them according to the schedule.
- Better boarding position – Southwest flight check-in will make the check-in process easier. It will assign your boarding position automatically between 36 and 12 hours before Southwest priority boarding positions are available. Southwest Early Bird check-in does not guarantee you an A boarding position. So, it helps passengers easily get preferred seating, which lets them choose their favorite spot on the plane.
- Be the first person to use the overhead bins – Do you have too much hand luggage? Don’t worry! You have a lot of space available to you. With Southwest’s upgraded boarding, passengers have the opportunity to choose from the available overhead bin space.
How to Check-in for Southwest Flight?
You can start checking in for your Southwest Airlines flight 48 hours before it’s scheduled to leave. The check-in process ends 2 hours before the scheduled departure time.
I’m wondering how to go through the check-in process with Southwest. Can you explain it to me? Here are the methods you can use to complete your Southwest flight check-in:
With Southwest online check-in, passengers can do a lot of things like checking their baggage in advance, choosing their preferred seats, selecting meal options, and requesting Southwest Airlines to print their boarding passes. Travelers who use wheelchairs, unaccompanied minors, and infants cannot check-in online for Southwest Airlines reservations. Southwest Airlines restricts flight check-in for international travelers. You can cancel your Southwest Airlines booking up to 2 hours before your flight, even if you have already completed the web check-in process.
Here are the steps to complete the online check-in process with Southwest Airlines:
- To check in for your Southwest flight, go to Southwest.com and click on the Southwest check-in web link. You will be taken to the official Southwest Airlines check-in page.
- To check in for your flight, please provide the following passenger information: PNR confirmation, First Name, and Last Name.
- To continue, simply click on the Check-in button.
- Please fill out the Southwest seat check-in request to confirm your seat.
- You can access your Southwest Airlines boarding pass online. You can choose to print your Southwest boarding pass right away or have it sent to your email address to print later.
Southwest Check-in Kiosk
How can I check in at a Southwest kiosk? Southwest Airlines has self-check-in kiosks at all airports in the United States. These kiosks allow passengers to easily check in for their Southwest flight and get their boarding pass from the machine. This facility is available for both domestic and international flights. If passengers have baggage to deposit, they should contact Southwest Airlines flight executives at the counter before check-in closes. Here is a simple guide to help passengers complete Southwest check-in at the kiosks:
- To find the Southwest automatic check-in kiosk machine, visit the Southwest Airlines webpage. They should have information about the locations of these kiosks.
- Please provide the details/number of the Photo ID you used when booking your Southwest flight, as well as the confirmation PNR for the booking information.
- The Southwest check-in kiosk machine gives passengers the option to choose their seats on the plane. If passengers don’t choose a seat, the airline will assign one for them.
- Make sure to have your Southwest boarding pass with you when you board the plane.
Southwest Curbside Check-in
You can use Southwest Airlines’ curbside check-in at certain airports in the US. This service is available for passengers who have a confirmed airline booking and are traveling with only carry-on luggage. In addition, passengers can also use the City check-in facility at certain airports. You can use Southwest’s curbside check-in service at selected international airports in the US any time, day or night, all year round. Here is a list of airports that offer curbside check-in facilities:
- Southwest offers curbside check-in at Midway Airport in Chicago, IL.
- Denver, CO – The southwest curbside check-in in Denver is open from 12:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
- Curbside check-in at Dallas Love Field for Southwest Airlines is available in Dallas, TX.
- Baltimore, Pennsylvania – Southwest Curbside Check-in at BWI
- Southwest Airlines offers curbside check-in at Phoenix Airport in Arizona.
- Southwest Airlines offers curbside check-in at San Diego Airport in California.
Southwest Check-in Mobile App
You can find the Southwest mobile app for check-in on the PlayStore. This app lets passengers do more than just check in for their Southwest flight. They can also choose their seat, check the flight schedule, and find contact center information. After checking in, you can access your Southwest mobile boarding pass on Android devices. You cannot use the Southwest mobile app to check in for codeshare flights.
Southwest Airport Check-in
How can I check in at the airport with Southwest? Airport check-in is the process where passengers arrive at the airport and give their checked baggage to the airline. After completing the onboarding process, they will receive a Southwest print boarding pass. To check in for Southwest Airlines at the airport, passengers should arrive at least 2 hours before the scheduled departure time. Here is a simple guide to help you complete the airport check-in process for Southwest Airlines.
Southwest Check-in desks:
Once passengers arrive at the airport, they can find the check-in information for their flights on a special information board. You can also get the necessary information at the Southwest Airlines airport check-in desk. These desks are usually found in the bag drop-off area. Here is a simple method with clear steps:
- Please locate the correct check-in gate at Southwest Airport for your scheduled flight.
- Make sure to have your travel documents easily accessible. These include your passport, government-issued photo ID, Southwest Airlines reservation code, or a printed copy of your ticket.
- When checking in for a Southwest flight, passengers will need to show the documents mentioned above. They can also give their checked baggage to be weighed and then sent to the plane.
- Once passengers have shown their travel documents and followed Southwest’s instructions for checking in their baggage weight, they will receive a boarding pass. This pass will allow them to board the plane.
- After finishing the check-in process for Southwest Airlines, passengers should go to the security checkpoint.
- Once a passenger completes the security check, they can go to the boarding gate to get on the plane. The boarding pass will show the hours for Southwest boarding. When you’re about to board, Southwest Airlines will announce that it’s time for passengers to get on the plane.
- If you don’t want to pay extra for your baggage, you must know about the baggage limit. To know all about baggage policy, just check out Southwest Airlines Baggage Policy Page.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How does Southwest boarding work?
Southwest Airlines begins the boarding process 30-50 minutes before the scheduled departure time. The exact timing depends on the destination and type of trip. You must check-in for Southwest Airlines at least 10 minutes before your flight is scheduled to leave. If a passenger is not present, the airline will give their seat to someone else. Once the plane doors are closed, Southwest’s boarding time ends.
When can I check in for my Southwest flight?
To reserve their preferred seat, passengers traveling with Southwest Airlines need to complete their check-in using a six-digit PNR number. Passengers can start boarding 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time. It is suggested that you arrive at the gate area at least 30 minutes before your scheduled time, as mentioned here.
How early do you check in for a Southwest flight?
You can start checking in for your Southwest Airlines flight on their website 48 hours before your scheduled departure. Make sure to complete the check-in process at least 10 minutes before your flight leaves, regardless of the class of service you’re in. Once you check in using the Southwest Airlines mobile app or website, your Southwest Airlines boarding pass and a receipt will be sent to the email address you provided during registration.