Korean Air has a policy that allows you to change or correct your name, depending on the type of ticket you have and the rules that apply to it. However, the name on the ticket must be exactly the same as the name on the government-issued photo ID.
In this post, we will explain how you can change or correct the name on a ticket that has already been issued. We will also discuss the rules you need to follow before making a correction, the penalty you may have to pay to the airline, and other important information.
Rules for Korean Air Name Change
According to the policy of Korean Air, you can change or correct your name on flight segments that you haven’t flown yet. However, you cannot change the type of passenger (adult, child, infant).
In addition to this, there are other terms and conditions that you should know before you submit a name change request for your Korean Airlines reservation.
- You can only change or correct the name on your ticket if it was issued by Korean Air and includes flights operated by Korean Air.
- If your name is spelled incorrectly, you can fix up to 3 characters in your first, middle, or last name.
- If you need to correct a name on an international booking, there may be a fee of 250 USD. For flights within South Korea, the fee for a name correction is 150 USD.
- If the name that needs to be changed is for an adult who is traveling with an infant, the fee for changing the name does not apply to the infant.
- If you want to change your name on Korean Air due to a divorce or marriage, you can do so.
- However, please note that there is a fee involved. Passengers must provide official documents that prove their name has been changed after they bought their ticket.
- If you change your name and/or surname at the Korean air ticket office, you need to provide a written declaration and a copy of your passport to confirm the changes.
- If a passenger needs to change or correct their name within 24 hours of purchasing a flight, they should cancel the flight, get a full refund, and then book a new flight with the correct name. If you want to learn about the rules for changing flights, you can find them in the Korean Air cancellation policy.
Is It Possible to Request a Name Change for Korean Air?
If any of the following exclusions apply, you can ask for a name change on Korean Air.
- The ticket states that the flight must be both operated and marketed by Korean Air.
- If the plan includes travelling to and from South Korea
- You need to correct more than 3 letters in either your first name or last name.
- If you have already asked for a name correction once and it still needs further correction, the ticket will need to be reissued for a second time.
First and Middle Name Correction
Airlines can fix mistakes in the first or middle name on a ticket by charging a fee called the Korean Air change name fee. They will then issue a new ticket with the corrected name. If the ticket was issued for a higher class of service, you will need to pay an additional amount for the fare difference.
Add Last Name
If a passenger has two last names and wants to add another one without changing the original one, the airlines will issue a new ticket. For instance, if Elizabeth Smith changed her last name to Alderson, her new full name would be Elizabeth Alderson Smith.
If passengers accidentally book a flight ticket with their names written in the wrong order, the airlines will fix the names in the booking record. You will only need to pay the fee for changing the name on your Korean Air ticket.
Name Change Due to Marriage
If a passenger has booked a Korean Air reservation using their maiden name but wants to update their name after booking the flight, they will need to provide proof of the name change (such as a copy of their marriage certificate or divorce decree). There will be a fee to change the name on the reservation.
Methods to Change Name with Korean Air
To change or correct your name, you can either call the airline’s customer service phone number or use the Korean Air online website.
Passengers can only request a name correction online for flight bookings made through the Korean airline’s website. To complete the process, simply go to the “Manage Booking” section and follow these steps:
- Please provide the booking reference and the last name of the passenger.
- On the page that shows the details of your booking, choose the name of the passenger that you want to fix.
- On the airline’s website, you can only correct up to 3 letters in either the first name or last name.
- Click on the ‘Change name’ button, and type the correct name in the appropriate field.
- After you confirm the changes, you will be taken to the checkout page.
- Please provide your payment information and follow the steps to complete the payment. You will get an email with the updated travel plan that has the correct name on the electronic tickets.
Over The Phone
To correct or change your name with Korean Air for legal reasons, please call their phone number for name changes. You can ask to change your name up to 24 hours before your planned departure.
About Korean Air Name Correction Policy
In order to correct the name, the flight reservations must meet the following requirements:
- The Korean Air needs to be the validating carrier.
- All the flights in the booking must be operated by Korean Air.
- Passengers must submit their request at least 24 hours before their scheduled departure for both international and domestic travel.
- Passengers are allowed to request only one ticket reissue per ticket. If you want to correct a name on your Korean Air ticket, you will need to follow their name change policy. Keep in mind that this may involve paying a change fee and the difference in fare.
- If you want to correct your name, you cannot make any changes to the travel date, destination, or fare classes.
- According to the Korean Air name correction policy, you can only make minor name corrections during the middle of your trip.
- When you ask to correct your name, you cannot change your date of birth or gender. If you need to correct the date or gender on your Korean Air flight, you will need to follow Korean Air flight change policy.
- Each passenger is only allowed to make one correction.
What Are the Fees for Changing the Name on a Korean Air Ticket?
According to the Korean Air name change policy, certain corrections or changes may require you to pay a fee and possibly the fare difference. These include:
|Name change requests||Airline’s penalty (in USD)||Fare difference, if any|
|Correction to the middle name||200||Yes|
|Correction to the first name||200||Yes|
|Correction to the last name||200||Yes|
|Addition to the last name without changing the name||200||Yes|
|First and last names are inverted||150||No|
|Married/maiden name change||200||Yes|
Korean Air has a name change policy that allows you to change your name on your ticket depending on the type of ticket you have. This policy also allows you to use a different spelling for your name than what is on your passport.
The purpose of this policy is to make travel more convenient for passengers. You can easily change your reservation and provide a preferred name for your ticket. Additionally, if the airline’s rules do not allow changes to be made during the flight, you can also request a free name change within 24 hours of booking your flight until check-in time. Just follow the steps provided by Korean Air and everything will be resolved easily.