You can bring your pets on board and transport them as checked baggage with Turkish Airlines’ pet policy. There might be a fee for having a pet. In this post, we will go over all the guidelines you need to know before making a reservation for your pet. Also, please provide information about which animals are not allowed on board, the cost of traveling with pets, and the airline’s policy regarding service animals.
Pet Travel Guidelines
In order to bring your live animal on board or as checked baggage, you need to complete the pet reservation at least 6 hours before the scheduled departure. In addition to this, there are other policies regarding traveling with pets that you should be aware of.
- Aircraft have a limit on how many animals they can carry.
- To check in your pets with Turkish Airlines, passengers should do so 3 hours before their international flight and 1 hour before their domestic flight.
- To make it easy for you, you should attach a label to the pet carrier. The label should have the following information: the passenger’s name, address, contact number, pet breed, weight, and the name of the pet.
- When you travel with your pet, make sure to bring their medical reports, vaccine certificates, ID details, and any other important documents.
- Pets traveling in the cabin, along with their crate, must not weigh more than 8 kg in total.
- The pet carrier should not exceed 23 cm in height, 30 cm in width, and 40 cm in length.
- The airline allows pets to be transported in plastic pet carriers, as well as hard-sided and soft-sided cases.
- Turkish Airlines does not allow pregnant animals, as well as puppies and kittens under ten weeks old, to fly.
Turkish Airlines Pet Policy In Cabin
If a passenger has provided a medical declaration stating that they are allergic to animals before the flight, pets will still be allowed in the cabin but with specific conditions.
- If there is a passenger with an allergy and another passenger with a pet on the same flight, the passenger who made the reservation first will have their request confirmed.
- If a passenger with an assistance dog and a passenger with an allergy statement is on the same flight, the request for the assistance dog would always be given priority over the passenger with the allergy.
- You can bring cats, dogs, small singing birds like parakeets, and canaries on board for transportation.
- The pet needs to be in a carrier that can fit under the passenger’s seat.
- If you’re traveling with pets in the cabin, you can select seats that are not close to emergency exit doors or front-row seats.
Pets in The Aircraft Hold
If your pet’s carrier is too big or weighs more than 8 kg, your pet will be transported in the hold of the aircraft. According to Turkish Airlines’ pet policy, the crate conditions are as follows:
- The pet’s living area should have a hard surface, be big enough, have good ventilation, and be waterproof to keep the pet comfortable and safe.
- Pets cannot be transported in the aircraft’s hold using soft cases.
- The carrier allows pets to easily move around and find a comfortable position to lie down.
- To ensure your pet’s comfort during travel, make sure the pet carriers are spacious enough. Your pet should be able to stand, turn around, and lie down comfortably. Additionally, the carriers should have proper ventilation, be watertight, and have a lateral locking system.
- Pilots have the final say on whether pets can be transported in the airplane’s hold or not. If the pilot tells the airlines that the ventilation conditions are not good, pets cannot be transported in the aircraft’s hold, no matter what.
Turkish Airlines Pet Policy for International Travel
Make sure you have all the necessary travel documents for your pet as required by the destination country. If you don’t have the necessary documents, you may not be allowed to travel and your trip could be canceled. The pet policy for international travel on Turkish Airlines includes:
- Certain arrival points may have restrictions on the entry, exit, and transit of pets. Passengers must have the necessary documents for service dogs or other pets in these situations.
- If the documentation is not complete, the airline may cancel the travel plans for both passengers and their pets.
- If you’re traveling internationally with your pet, make sure to email the necessary documents to the CDC at least 6 weeks before your trip starts.
- When passengers check in and board their flight, they must provide a copy of the CDC application on the day of travel.
- Pets cannot enter international zones without written approval.
- You don’t need written approval from the CDC if you meet these conditions:
- If you can prove that the dog has been in a high-risk country for less than 6 months.
- The pet or service dog has vaccine certificates that are valid and given by a licensed veterinarian in the United States.
- The pet has a microchip that can be easily read.
- If the dog is at least six months old.
- The pet is healthy and will be flying from airports approved by the CDC.
Pet Fees and Charges
The pet allowance is not included as part of the free baggage allowance and you will need to pay pet travel fees for it.
If the combined weight of the pet and carrier is less than 8 kg, they must be carried in the cabin. If your luggage weighs more than 8 kg, it will have to be placed in the aircraft hold. You will be charged a fixed fee for the combined weight of your pet and its crate. Please refer to the table for additional information.
|Kennel/Container type||Weight||Pet fee (in USD)|
|Pets in the flight cabin||0-8 kg||120|
|Pets in the cargo hold||0-15 kg||200|
|Pets in the cargo hold||16-22 kg||250|
|Pets in the cargo hold||23-28 kg||300|
|Pets in the cargo hold||Over 28 kg||350|
The carrier/container for your pet is not included in the free baggage allowance. You will need to pay an additional fee to transport it. To check, please visit the website.
For Smooth Check-In Kindly check out Turkish Airlines Check-In Policy.
In conclusion, Turkish Airlines has a well-defined pet policy to accommodate your furry companions. You can bring various pets on board, with specific guidelines and restrictions. It’s essential to adhere to these policies, such as reservation deadlines, carrier dimensions, and required documents, to ensure a smooth and comfortable journey for both you and your pets.
Additionally, be aware of the applicable fees, which depend on the weight and location of your pet during the flight. Traveling with pets on Turkish Airlines is possible with careful planning and compliance with their pet policy.