Is it possible to ask for a name change on a Westjet Airlines ticket? Many travelers have wondered about what happens if their travel companion is unable to join them on the flight. Alternatively, a significant error in spelling is found on a boarding pass just before departure. Westjet has a policy for changing names, and they have systems in place to assist passengers with these situations.
There are certain factors that determine how easy it is to make a change, such as the proximity or number of characters involved, as well as the cost. Additionally, there are specific rules and guidelines that must be followed in order to qualify for a Westjet name correction request.
To make it easier for you, here’s a summary of everything you need to know before asking to change your name on your Westjet Airlines booking.
Conditions to Change Name on the Westjet Booking
You can ask to change your name with Westjet Airlines, but it depends on the type of ticket you have or want to buy. The rules are:
- You can change the name on flight segments that haven’t been used yet. However, you can’t change the passenger’s type (child, adult, senior).
- Westjet only allows name changes on tickets that were issued by Westjet. The booking only includes flights that are operated and advertised by Westjet.
- If you need to change your Westjet flight booking, they will give you a new ticket in the same or a better class of service. If there are no tickets available in the original booking class, the passenger will have to pay for an upgrade to the next available booking class.
- If the name is spelled incorrectly, you can fix up to 3 letters in the first name, middle name, or last name. If you want to change your name on a Westjet flight, there is a fee of 150 USD that you would need to pay.
- If the name that needs to be changed is for an adult who is traveling with an infant, the fee for changing the name does not apply to the infant.
- According to Westjet’s policy, you can change your name on your airline ticket if you have official documents showing that you got married or divorced. The documents need to show that the name was changed after the booking was made.
- You can submit change or correction requests online up to 24 hours before your scheduled departure.
Method to Correct/Change the Name on the Westjet Flight Ticket
You cannot change your name online with the airline. However, if you go to the manage booking section, you can fix your name by changing up to 3 characters. You can call Westjet’s customer service to correct or change the name on your booking.
If you’re flying with Westjet, you can ask them to fix your first name, middle name, or last name if there are up to 3 characters that need to be corrected. When they are fixing the name, they need to provide a valid travel document like a passport or any photo ID issued by the government. To correct the name on the airline’s website, please follow these steps:
- Go to westjet.com and click on the ‘Manage My Booking‘ tab.
- Please provide the booking reference and last name in the required field. Once you click on the Confirm button, you will be taken to the booking summary page.
- Please select the specific flight portion and provide the name of the passenger that requires modification.
- Please select the ‘Change’ tab. Please type the correct name in the designated area.
- You can only make changes to a maximum of 3 characters in the first name, middle name, or last name.
- Please make sure to pay the necessary fee on the checkout page. Please double-check your name and make sure it matches exactly as it appears on your government-issued photo ID.
- The airline will send you a new flight confirmation and e-ticket with the correct name.
Over The Phone
You cannot change your name online. To request a name change, you need to call customer service and provide legal reasons for the change. You can ask to change your name for the following reasons:
- Switching the order of a name
- Name change because of a wedding or a divorce
- Change the title or the person’s gender.
- The date of birth needs to be changed.
Fees and Charges
Here is a list of the fees that come with changing the name of the traveler. Check the list below if you want to change or fix your name:
|Name change fee for:||Econo fare [in USD]||EconoFlex fare[in USD]||Premium fare[in USD]||Business fare[in USD]|
|Travel within Canada||125-150||125-150||125-150||125-150|
|Travel between Canada and all destinations||125-150||125-150||150-175||150-175|
|Travel between Canada and Europe||175-200||175-200||175-200||175-200|
Name Correction Criteria
To change the name on a WestJet flight reservation, the following must be true:
- Westjet needs to be a validating carrier.
- Westjet Airlines and its interline agreement partners are responsible for operating and validating all flights.
- If you booked with a travel agency, you need to contact Westjet to get approval for a name correction request.
- If the airline won’t fix the name, your request will be treated as a name change and will follow Westjet’s name change policy.
- You can only request one reissue for correcting a name. If you need to correct your name, you can request a name change with WestJet.
- You are not allowed to make changes to the flight date, destination, time, or fare basis code.
- According to Westjet’s name correction policy, you are allowed to make minor name corrections during your trip. The information on the passenger’s passport or valid photo ID must match.
- You cannot change your date of birth or gender under the name correction policy.
- If you want to change your date of birth, it will be treated as a name change according to Westjet’s policy on name changes.
- Want to cancel your flight? Here is WestJet Airlines Flight Cancel Policy.
Free Name Change on Westjet Flight Ticket
Passengers can request a name change or correction without paying the Westjet change fee in certain scenarios and circumstances. For example:
Minor Correction: You can request free corrections for any typos or minor errors that are under 3 characters. Passengers are required to pay the airline service fee for up to 3 characters. There may be an additional cost for the fare difference.
24-Hour Booking: If you buy a reservation within 24 hours of booking, you can cancel the flight without any charges and get a complete refund. You can now change the name on the flight booking.
Flight Cancellation: Sometimes, it is less expensive to cancel a flight than to pay the fee. Sometimes, it is cheaper to buy a second ticket instead of paying for a name change.
Change Due to Marriage or Divorce: If you have the correct paperwork and allow enough time for it to be checked at the airport, you are following the law. According to the Westjet name change policy, the name on your ticket only needs to match the passenger’s identification on the day of travel. There will be no charge.
Westjet Airlines is usually accepting when it comes to changing or correcting the name on flight tickets. It’s important to contact the airlines and address your concern as soon as possible.
It’s important to note that Westjet handles name correction requests differently than changing a passenger’s entire name. You can change and transfer your name with Westjet. This means you can give your flight ticket to someone else.
Can I Change the Name on My Westjet Airlines Ticket?
Yes, you can request a name change for unused flight segments on WestJet Airlines tickets. However, specific conditions and rules apply.
What Situations Allow for a Name Change?
You can change your name due to spelling errors (up to 3 characters) or for reasons like marriage/divorce. Changing the name of an adult accompanied by an infant is exempt from the fee.
How Can I Initiate a Name Correction?
Online, visit “Manage My Booking,” correct up to 3 characters, and pay a fee. Alternatively, call customer service for name corrections and legal changes.
What Fees Are Associated With Name Changes?
Fees vary by fare type and destination. Check the fee chart provided for accurate information.
Are There Cases Where Name Changes Are Free?
Yes, minor corrections (up to 3 characters), 24-hour booking changes, flight cancellations, and changes due to marriage/divorce can be free or have reduced fees.