Travel is very important for people. Everyone, regardless of age, travels at some point in their life, whether it’s for fun or work. Children also need flight services, just like adults. Sometimes, they have to travel alone. One reason could be that they want to spend their summers with their grandparents. Another reason could be that they want to travel to school for educational or recreational activities. Traveling for youngsters is made convenient and safer with Turkish Airlines’s unaccompanied minor policy.
In this post, we will give you all the important information about minors traveling alone. We will cover the eligibility criteria and the conditions that need to be met. The service fee is connected to the services provided by Turkish Airlines and other things.
Eligibility and Criteria to Avail UM Service
Turkish Airlines allows children aged 4 to 12 to travel alone as unaccompanied minors. Alternatively, if they are with someone who is younger than 18 years old. Both of the young individuals are required to pay fees for unaccompanied minor services.
The criteria that will determine if minors can travel alone or not are:
- The child cannot be with an adult who is over 18 years old.
- The airline does not provide a service for unaccompanied minors on codeshare or interline agreement flights. Additionally, minors are not allowed to travel on red-eye flights.
- Turkish Airlines may cancel a flight if there are unexpected issues that disrupt the flight.
- Children between the ages of 2 and 7 who are traveling alone will be taken care of by a flight attendant.
- The child traveling alone will be charged the same fare as an adult and will have the same baggage allowance.
- To ensure a smooth experience, it is important to book the service for minors flying alone with Turkish Airlines at least 24 hours before the scheduled departure.
- Children who are traveling alone should arrive at the airport at least two hours before their scheduled departure time.
- Please note that young passengers are required to go to separate counters at Istanbul Airport.
Guidelines to Avail the Unaccompanied Minor Service
Children aged 7 to 12 can use Turkish Airlines’ unaccompanied service. There are other conditions that may also be applicable, just like this one.
- To let a young person fly alone, their guardian or parent needs to sign a consent document.
- The escort service is necessary for any child under the age of 7 who is not accompanied by an adult.
- To reserve the unaccompanied minor service, you need to have a ticket at least 48 hours before the departure.
- If a child is traveling alone, their parent or guardian will need to pay the Turkish Airlines unaccompanied minor fee.
- When you book an unaccompanied intercontinental flight for a child, the airline will charge an extra $40 as a service fee. This fee should be paid at the time of booking.
- When you arrive at the check-in counter for Turkish Airlines, the parents or guardians will need to sign some paperwork. The staff will also give you guidance on any other requirements and documents you may need.
- According to the Turkish Airlines unaccompanied minor policy, parents should wait at the airport until the flight has taken off.
- Children are given seats near the senior cabin steward.
- When the plane lands, the cabin crew gives the young passengers back to their parents who are there to meet them.
- To book an unaccompanied minor service, the parent of the child passenger or someone authorized by the parent must make the booking.
When you arrive at the airport, make sure to bring the attested copy of the Turkish Airlines unaccompanied minor form if you are a parent or guardian. Additionally, they should have the following documents readily available during check-in:
- You will need to provide a valid photo ID, such as a passport or any government-issued photo ID.
- Please provide an address proof for the city you are going to. Also, kindly provide the name, phone number, and address of the person who will be picking up the child at the airport in that city.
Unaccompanied Minor Service Fee and Charges
|Travel Route||Direct flight (in USD)||Connecting flight (in USD)|
|North & South America||200||300 (permitted only in the US and Canada)|
In summary, Turkish Airlines recognizes the importance of safe and convenient travel for unaccompanied minors, offering a comprehensive service for children aged 4 to 12. Parents and guardians can take advantage of this service by adhering to the eligibility criteria and guidelines outlined by the airline. The unaccompanied minor service ensures that young travelers have a smooth and secure journey, with proper documentation, assistance, and dedicated cabin seating. It’s essential to be aware of the associated service fees, which vary based on the travel route. Turkish Airlines’ commitment to facilitating safe travel for children makes it a suitable choice for families with young adventurers.