Getting ready for a vacation can take up a lot of your time and energy. Is it easy to change or rearrange your plans if something unexpected comes up? You can definitely trust the United flight change policy.
Due to the changes made during the coronavirus pandemic, the process of requesting a flight change has become much easier. The airline has eliminated or significantly reduced most fees for rescheduling flights.
This guide will provide information about flight changes, rescheduling policies, change fees, and more.
Guidelines to Change a Flight on United Airlines
If you purchased your ticket directly from United Airlines, their flight change policy is quite open to change. There are a few important things to think about:
- You can change your flight tickets within 24 hours of buying them without any additional charges.
- If your travel plans include flights within the US and Canada, United will not charge a fee for changing your flight. The Basic Economy fare does not apply to this.
- You have the option to cancel a Basic Economy fare and exchange your flight for travel credit.
The travel credit will expire after 1 year from the date it was issued.
- You have the flexibility to modify your flight multiple times, but you will need to pay the fare difference each time you make a change.
- If you’re unsure about your travel plans, you don’t need to immediately book a new flight. You have the option to select a flight credit that must be used within one year from the date your original ticket was issued.
- If your new flight costs less, you may receive a credit for the difference in the form of a future flight voucher, as long as your fare allows it.
- If you have an award ticket for an Economy or Premium Economy flight, you won’t have to pay any change fees. The flight needs to start in the United States.
- If you received travel credit for a flight booked through a travel agency, you must use the credit with that same agency.
- If you choose to take an earlier flight on the same day, you won’t have to pay a standby fee anymore.
- MileagePlus Premier members can change their flight to an earlier one at no cost.
- If you book a group flight through United Airlines’ Group Desk, you will still have to pay the change fees.
Can I Change My United Airlines Flight Within 24 Hours?
Passengers can make changes to their travel date, time, origin, or destination within 24 hours of purchasing their ticket. Here are the key points to keep in mind:
- The flight needs to be operated by United Airlines.
- United Airlines will not charge a change fee. However, there may be a difference in fare.
- With the exception of Basic Economy, all tickets are required to follow this regulation.
Method to Change a Flight on United Airlines
Passengers have the option to make changes to their United Airlines reservation either online or over the phone.
Over The Phone
If you want to make changes to your flight, simply call the Customer Service representative of the airline. Please be aware that if you have a different type of ticket, you may need to pay a fee to make changes and cover any difference in fare.
Changing flights on both paid and award tickets is now almost identical. To access your UA account portal on united.com, simply log in and then click on the ‘My trips’ link in the menu.
- To access your flight booking, simply enter the six-digit confirmation number and the last name of the passenger.
- Please choose the flight segment that you want to modify.
- To make changes to your flight, Choose the “Change flight” option.
- Change the time or date of your trip.
- Change your destination.
- Add a flight.
- Remove a flight segment.
- To choose a different flight, click on the “Continue” button.
- Please proceed with your booking to confirm your updated travel plans.
- You will receive an email confirming the changes made to your flight.
United Airlines Schedule Change Policy
The policy for schedule changes with United Airlines is straightforward, but it has some restrictions. The airline releases the flight schedule 11 months ahead of time so that passengers have plenty of time to plan their travel. After releasing the flight schedules, the airline may make some changes to accommodate modifications. These changes might include some of the following:
- Flight arrival or departure times are being changed.
- Changes in flight frequency
- Routes are being either added or removed.
- The aircraft’s type is being changed.
When there is a schedule change, airlines try their best to give you alternative options that cause the least disruption to your travel plans. If any of the following situations apply to you and the new flight options are not suitable, you have the option to request a refund.
- The expected departure or arrival time has been changed.
- If the airline cannot accommodate you in the same cabin as the one you booked, you will either get a full refund or the price difference in your ticket.
How can I change my United Airlines flight within 24 hours of booking, and will there be any additional charges?
You can change your United Airlines flight within 24 hours of booking without any additional charges, provided that the flight is operated by United Airlines.
Are there any fees for changing a domestic flight within the United States and Canada on United Airlines?
United Airlines does not charge a fee for changing domestic flights within the US and Canada, with the exception of Basic Economy fares.
What happens if I receive travel credit for a flight booked through a travel agency? How can I use this credit?
If you receive travel credit for a flight booked through a travel agency, you must use the credit with the same agency.
Can MileagePlus Premier members change their flight to an earlier one for free, and are there any conditions?
Yes, MileagePlus Premier members can change their flight to an earlier one at no cost. The flight must start in the United States for this benefit to apply.
What is United Airlines’ policy for schedule changes, and when can passengers request a refund?
United Airlines releases its flight schedule 11 months in advance. If there are schedule changes, such as alterations in departure or arrival times, changes in flight frequency, route additions or removals, or aircraft type changes, passengers may request a refund if the new flight options are not suitable for their travel plans.