If customers need to cancel their flights with American Airlines due to an emergency or change of plans, the cancellation policy is convenient. The Cancellation Policy helps you understand which rules apply to your situation, so you can take the appropriate action.
Steps To Cancel American Airlines Flights
- You can visit the official website of American Airlines Reservations and Cancellation at www.aa.com. To find your trips, go to the homepage and click on the option “Manage My Trips.”
- To cancel a trip, choose the trip you want to cancel and then click on the ‘Cancel Booking’ option.
- American Airlines will ask you to confirm if you want to cancel your booking.
- If you click on ‘confirm’, your booking will be canceled.
- If you have any money left after paying cancellation fees, you will get a voucher.
- If you need to cancel a paid ticket, make sure to save the email you receive. It will contain a six-digit record and a 13-digit ticket number. These numbers will be necessary if you want to rebook your ticket later on.
American Airlines Cancellation Fee
If customers cancel their tickets within 24 hours of booking, they will not be charged. However, if they cancel after this time period, American Airlines will charge a flight cancellation fee. Below are the cancellation fees based on the type of tickets.-
- Basic Economy Ticket: If you have a basic economy ticket with American Airlines, please note that you cannot cancel it unless you do so within 24 hours of making the booking. If American Airlines changes your flight by 61 minutes or more, if your traveling companion passes away, or if you have specific military orders, you can apply for a refund in these situations.
- Non-Refundable Ticket: American Airlines charges $200 for domestic flights and $750 for international flights. These tickets are non-refundable. Even if a ticket is nonrefundable, it can still be refunded in the unfortunate event of the passenger or their traveling companion passing away, or if there are specific military orders.
- Refundable Ticket: If you have a refundable ticket, you can cancel your flight at any time before it departs and get a refund. You will receive the refund in your account within 7 days.
- Award Ticket: If you use Advantage miles to book a ticket, canceling it will cost you $150 for the first award and $25 for each additional reward.
American Airlines Refund Policy
If you’re unable to travel with American Airlines for any reason, you can easily cancel your reservation. According to the American Airlines Refund policy, a refund will be transferred to your original form of payment within a short period of time.
According to American Airlines refund policy for nonrefundable tickets, you can only get a refund if you cancel your ticket within 24 hours of booking. Otherwise, the ticket price will not be refunded.
If you have a refundable ticket, you can cancel it and get your money back as long as you request the cancellation before the flight departs. If you cancel your refundable ticket within 24 hours of booking, you will automatically receive a refund.
How to Get a Refund on an American Airlines Flight?
If you haven’t received a refund from American Airlines as per their refund policy, you can easily request your refund by filling out a form. To do this, follow these steps:
- To begin, you need to cancel your flight in order to release your seat on the plane.
- To cancel your flights, you have two options. First, you can follow these steps. Alternatively, you can call American Airlines or go online and use the flight check-in number.
- To request a refund, you will need to fill out an online form.
- To complete the form, you need to enter your ticket number. You can find this number in the email you received. Additionally, you need to provide your last name.
- Once you view your itinerary, you will need to provide a reason for your cancellation.
- Afterward, you will be asked to choose between receiving a voucher or a refund. If you want to travel with American Airlines in the future, you can request a voucher. If not, you can ask for a refund.
- You can submit your refund request by choosing one of the options.
- Refunds usually take 7 working days to process, but there may be delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- You want your favorite seat. But don’t know how to get it. Don’t worry, we have covered American Airlines Seat Selection Policy. Go and check out the fees and methods.
American Airlines eVoucher
To get your voucher number and PIN, simply click on the link provided in the email. Once you’re on the payment screen, enter the voucher number and PIN. You can use a maximum of 8 vouchers at once. If the price of the ticket is more than the value of your vouchers, you can use your credit card to pay the remaining amount.
If You Need to Change or Cancel Your American Airlines Ticket and Have a Travel Waiver, Here’s What You Need to Know
If your ticket is covered by a travel waiver, canceling your flight can be easier. These waivers are given out when there is bad weather or a natural disaster. The waivers give customers the ability to cancel their flights without any charges. The travel waiver may differ depending on the specific dates and airports that are included.
American Airlines has implemented a travel waiver due to the coronavirus. They have made several updates to it since the outbreak began.
Following Are the Coronavirus Waivers in Effect:-
- If you have booked a ticket before March 1, 2020, and the date of travel is before May 31, 2020, you can change your ticket one time free of charge.
- If you booked a ticket between March 1, 2020, and March 31, 2020, and plan to travel on or before February 28, 2021, you can rebook once without any change fee.
If you cancel a paid ticket you will not be given a refund on your credit card but you will be issued American Airlines credit for future travel. However, an award ticket can be canceled and the advantage miles are refunded under the waiver.
American Airlines 24 Hours Cancellation Policy
According to the American Airlines Policy, you have 24 hours from the time you book your ticket to cancel, change, or hold it without having to pay a cancellation fee.
Basic Economy: American Airlines has a policy for Basic Economy tickets that states you can only make changes to your ticket within 24 hours of purchasing it. Airline D has listed some situations in which they may cancel this ticket, like if your partner passes away or if you are involved in a military operation.
Non-Refundable Ticket: If you cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking, you won’t have to pay any fees, whether it’s a domestic or international flight.
Refundable Ticket: If you bought a refundable ticket, you can cancel it before your flight leaves and get a refund back to your original credit card.
Award Ticket: American Airlines has removed all cancellation and redeposit fees for award tickets.
You can hold flights that are departing at least seven days later. If you want to cancel for free, you must request it within two days before departure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Cancel Just One Passenger on American Airlines Flight?
American Airlines understands that sometimes you may need to cancel a flight at the last minute. They will allow you to cancel a ticket from a group reservation. Usually, the American airline will divide all the bookings and then cancel the specific ticket for you.
If your ticket can be refunded, the full amount of money will be deposited into your bank account within 7-14 business days.
What if American Airlines Cancels My Flight?
If American Airlines cancels your flight, they will find another flight for you as soon as possible. If there are no available flights, they will help you find a place to stay overnight at the airport, if there are rooms available.
If your American Airlines flight gets canceled and you don’t want to travel anymore, you have the option to request a refund. Furthermore, any additional funds you have paid will be refunded using the same method you used for your original payment.
How Can I Cancel an American Airlines Miles Ticket?
Did you buy a Miles ticket for a trip but now can’t go because of a sudden change in plans? No need to worry, American Airlines has you covered. You will also be eligible for a full refund. To cancel your reservation, simply follow these steps.
To get started, log in to your account and click on ‘Find your trip.’ Then, enter your ticket details and follow the instructions provided. You can cancel or change your booking on the next page. If you click the cancel button, your flight will be canceled.