The cancellation policy of Malaysia Airlines lets you cancel certain tickets without any charge, while for others, there is a fee. The specific fee depends on your fare type and route. You can cancel and get a refund for most fares, except for Economy Lite. Alternatively, you can convert them into travel vouchers for future use. This depends on the fare conditions of your ticket.
About Malaysia Airlines Cancellation Policy
Whether or not you can cancel your Malaysia Airlines ticket will depend on the fare conditions of your ticket and the route you are traveling. Here is a summary of how the Malaysia Airlines cancellation policy will apply to your situation.
- You can cancel and get a refund for all Flex tickets without any penalty.
- Economy Lite fares are non-refundable and non-cancellable on most routes. However, there are a few exceptions where cancellations and refunds are allowed. These exceptions include flights to Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, and Port of Spain (with a refund fee).
- The economy. Starting from June 1, 2022, you can cancel and get a refund for basic fares, but there will be a fee and you can only do it once.
- If you have a ticket or an E-Voucher with a travel date between January 1, 2020, and October 29, 2022, and you were unable to travel because of flight disruptions or changes, you can take the following steps.
- You can cancel and reschedule your flights in the same cabin class before March 31, 2023. The new travel date should be on or before June 30, 2023.
- You can change your tickets for free one time. There won’t be any service fee or fare difference if it’s your first time making changes to your original tickets.
- If you buy a ticket from Malaysia Airlines to travel to or from the United States, and you cancel it within 24 hours of booking, you can get a full refund without any cancellation fees.
- Just make sure you purchase the ticket at least 7 days before your departure. The 24-hour grace period applies to all types of tickets, including non-refundable tickets.
- If your flight is canceled and the alternative flight they offer you doesn’t work for you, you have the right to get a full refund.
- If your flight is significantly delayed, you can also request a full refund.
- If you bought your ticket from a travel agent or a third-party website, you need to reach out to them directly to cancel or request a refund.
- In Case you don’t want to cancel your flight, You have an option to change your flight. To know more about terms and conditions visit this page Malaysia Airlines Flight Change Policy.
24-Hour Cancellation Policy
If you book a Malaysia Airlines flight online through their website or mobile app, you can cancel it within 24 hours according to their cancellation policy. According to this policy, passengers who buy their tickets to or from the United States at least 7 days (168 hours) before their trip can cancel their booking within 24 hours of purchase without any fees, regardless of the type of fare they purchased.
If passengers cancel their tickets after the 24-hour grace period, they will be charged the standard cancellation fee. The amount of the fee will depend on the fare conditions of their tickets.
Malaysia Airlines Cancelled Flights Policy
If Malaysia Airlines cancels your flight, doesn’t stop at your stopover or destination, or makes you miss a connecting MH flight that you have a confirmed booking for, you can choose to:
- You can take the next flight that is offered to you at no extra cost.
- You can get to your goal in a reasonable amount of time on a different flight or mode of transportation that works for you at no extra cost.
- Get your money back for your ticket.
Cancellation Fee and Charges
The amount you have to pay for canceling your Malaysia Airlines ticket will vary based on the fare conditions of your ticket, the route you are traveling, and the timing of your cancellation.
- If you cancel your flight before it departs, there is no cancellation fee for Flex fares, including Economy Flex.
- There is no cancellation fee for flights to or from the U.S. if:
- You buy your ticket online from Malaysia Airlines’ website.
- To ensure a smooth process, please make sure to buy your ticket at least 7 days (168 hours) before your departure.
- If you cancel your ticket within 24 hours of booking, you can do so.
- You will not be charged a cancellation fee if:
- Malaysia Airlines has cancelled your flight.
- Malaysia Airlines has significantly delayed your flight.
- You cannot cancel Economy Lite fares.
The amount you have to pay if you cancel your Economy Basic or higher fare will vary based on your travel route and the specific conditions of your ticket.
Flight Cancelled Compensation
If your Malaysia Airlines flight is canceled and you’re departing from an airport in the European Union, you may be eligible for compensation under the EC 261 law. This law is in place to protect passenger rights. If your flight is canceled or delayed by more than 3 hours within 14 days of departure, you might be able to get compensation of up to €600/USD 700. This is only applicable if the reasons for the cancellation or delay are within the airline’s control and not due to extraordinary circumstances like extreme weather conditions.
The amount of compensation for canceled flights, per passenger, will be:
- You can get flights for up to €250 if the distance is less than 1,500km.
- You can get up to €400 for flights within the EU that are longer than 1,500km.
- You can get up to €400 for flights within the EU that are not within the country and are between 1,500 and 3,500 kilometers.
- You can receive up to €600 for flights outside of the EU that are longer than 3,500km.
Can I cancel my Malaysia Airlines ticket for free?
It depends on your fare type. Flex tickets can be canceled without fees, while others may have charges.
How does the 24-hour cancellation policy work?
You can cancel within 24 hours if you booked a Malaysia Airlines flight to/from the U.S. at least 7 days before departure.
What if Malaysia Airlines cancels my flight?
You can choose a new flight, alternative transportation, or a refund.
Is there compensation for EU flights?
Yes, for EU flights delayed or canceled, compensation varies from €250 to €600 depending on the distance.
Can Economy Lite tickets be canceled?
Generally, no. They are non-refundable and non-cancellable except for specific routes.