Spirit Airlines Baggage Policy Rules
- Please bring one personal item: No Fees
- You are allowed to bring one small item as a carry-on: Fees Involved
- Carry-on luggage: There may be fees involved.
- Checked baggage refers to the luggage that passengers hand over to the airline during the check-in process. There is a fee for each bag if you have more than 2 checked bags.
- Oversize baggage: A fee is charged based on the size of your baggage.
- Excessively heavy luggage: A fee is charged based on the weight of your baggage.
- Sports goods: certain items may have an additional charge.
The rules and requirements for baggage allowance on Spirit Airlines are different for carry-on and checked baggage. To fully understand the Spirit Airlines baggage policy, please read the entire article.
Spirit Airlines Carry-on Baggage Rules and Requirements
Passengers flying with Spirit Airlines are allowed to bring one personal item with them on board without having to pay any additional fees or charges. You can bring personal items like a laptop, musical instrument, backpack, hand purse, camera, and more.
Baggage Size/dimensions and Weight Limit
- The maximum allowed dimensions for a carry-on bag on Spirit Airlines are 22 inches by 18 inches by 10 inches (or 50 linear inches).
- This is equivalent to 56 centimeters by 46 centimeters by 25 centimeters (or 127 centimeters).
- The carry-on baggage needs to fit either under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin.
- The size of your personal item cannot be larger than 18*14*8 inches (or 50 linear inches) or 46*36*20 centimeters (or 102 centimeters).
- The personal item should fit entirely under the seat in front of you.
- Items like diaper bags, jackets, duty-free items, umbrellas, and assistive devices such as strollers, wheelchairs, child restraint seats, crutches, and walkers are not considered as carry-on baggage.
Please note that the bulkhead seats do not have any under-seat storage. Passengers will need to store all their carry-on baggage in the overhead bin during take-off and landing.
Read Also: Spirit Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
Spirit Airlines Check-in Baggage Rules and Requirements
According to the rules and requirements of Spirit Airlines for checking in baggage, you are allowed to bring 2 bags as checked baggage. For international travel, there may be different restrictions, so it’s best to visit the official website of Spirit Airlines to check.
Baggage Weight and Size/dimensions Limit
- The maximum dimensions for checked baggage on Spirit Airlines are 157 centimeters or 62 inches (length + width + height).
- The weight of checked baggage on Spirit Airlines should not be more than 18 kilograms or 40 pounds.
Spirit Airlines Baggage Fees/cost
The charges for baggage on Spirit Airlines vary depending on whether it is carry-on or checked baggage. To understand the baggage fees and cost structure of Spirit Airlines, please read the information below.
Spirit Airlines Carry-on Baggage Fees
- At the airport booking center/kiosk: $55USD
- At the gate of the airport: $65USD
- Prior to online check-in: $45USD
- While online check-in- $45USD
- While booking: $35USD
Spirit Airlines Checked Baggage Fees for the First Bag
- Before checking in online, the cost is $40 USD.
- When making a reservation, the cost is $30 in USD.
- During the online check-in process, there is a fee of $40 USD.
- At the airport ticket booking counter/kiosk, the cost is $50 USD.
Spirit Airlines Checked Baggage Fees for the Second Bag
- When making a reservation, the cost is $40 in USD.
- Before checking in online, there is a fee of $50 USD.
- At the airport ticket booking kiosk/counter, the cost is $60 USD.
- During the online check-in process, there is a fee of $50 USD.
Just a reminder, Spirit Airlines charges an additional $2 USD for baggage during the busy holiday season. If you are a member of Spirit Airline’s $9 Fare Club, you will receive a $9 discount on baggage fees.
Read Also: Spirit Airlines Manage My Booking
Spirit Airlines’ Excess Baggage Fees
If you bring more than two bags to Spirit Airlines, they will charge you extra fees. Here is the fee structure for excess baggage:
- When making a reservation, the cost is $85 USD.
- The cost for online check-in is $95 USD.
- The cost before online check-in is $95 USD.
- At the airport ticket booking kiosk/counter, the cost is $100 USD.
Spirit Airlines’ Overweight Baggage Fee
The overweight baggage fee from Spirit Airlines is charged when a passenger’s bag weighs more than the allowed limit of 23 kilograms or 50 pounds. Below, you will find the overweight baggage fee for Spirit Airlines based on different weight categories.
- If your baggage weighs between 18 to 23 kilograms (41 to 50 pounds), you will be charged an additional $ 30 USD.
- If your baggage weighs between 23 to 32 kilograms (51 to 70 pounds), you will be charged $55USD for each additional kilogram.
- 32 to 45 kilograms is equivalent to 71 to 100 pounds. The cost for each additional piece of baggage is $100 USD.
- We cannot accept bags that weigh more than 46 kilograms or 100 pounds as checked baggage.
- For flights to and from the U.S. on international flights, the weight limit for checked bags is 23 kilograms or 50 pounds. This applies from December 1st to January 10th.
Spirit Airlines’ Oversize Baggage Fee
The oversize baggage fee for Spirit Airlines is $100 USD for bags that are between 158 to 203 centimeters (63 to 80 linear inches), and $150 USD for bags that are between 203 to 406 centimeters (80 to 160 linear inches). Spirit Airlines has a strict policy that does not allow bags larger than 406 centimeters or 160 linear inches.
By reading the article above, you should now have a good understanding of Spirit Airlines’ baggage policy. If you have any more questions or concerns, you can still call the Spirit Airlines baggage contact number.
How to Book Spirit Airlines Baggage?
- Please visit the website of Spirit Airlines. Visit the official website of Spirit Airlines.
- To start booking your flight, simply enter the cities you’re departing from and arriving at, along with your travel dates and the number of passengers.
- Choose your preferred flights from the options provided.
- When you book, you’ll be asked to choose your baggage options. This refers to both bags you can bring on the plane and bags you need to check-in.
- Please indicate the number of carry-on bags and checked bags you would like to bring.
- Please review the baggage fees for the options you have selected. The fees you have to pay can change depending on things like the route you choose and the time you make your booking.
- To make a payment, simply pay for the baggage options you have chosen along with your flight reservation. Make sure you have your payment information prepared.
- Please review your booking details, including baggage selections and fees, before confirming your reservation.
- Confirmation Received: After your reservation is confirmed, you will receive a booking confirmation through email. This will provide details about the options for your luggage.
- When you’re getting ready to fly, make sure to follow Spirit Airlines’ rules for baggage size, weight, and any restrictions. Make sure to arrive at the airport on time for check-in so you can have a smooth journey.